RFC: Open build area

en English en Foros

Publicación 1–10 de 14

1 2 » Siguiente

OP

por

Firefly

hace 2 años

During the most recent livestream we talked about adding an 'open build area' to the game where you don't have to claim land to build. A lot of players seem excited about this idea, but I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing. So I want to start gathering feedback on the idea… what do you all understand this 'open build area' to be? In my vision, it's a large (say 1,000+ to 10,000+ claim) area where you can build without having to claim land. Modifying existing builds is actively allowed. Griefing is condoned in the sense that everyone building here acknowledges that they don't have a final say in any construction(s) on this land. Technically I think I could most easily implement it by introducing a '(GM) Open Build' account (or similar) that holds the land claims. It would automatically accept incoming friend requests and give building permissions to its 'friends'. Now, there are a lot of challenges involved from a game design perspective… 1a.) Does everyone start at the exact same spot? This would leave to a massively overpopulated/modified center and much less stuff going on the farther you move away from the 'center'. 1b.) Hummm suggested that players end up in a random spot depending per player. This way everyone would have some room for themselves, but you can still work with your friends by telecharging to them. It devalues the 'community' aspect to give more personal space. It also prevents discoverability and bonding. 2.) How do we communicate to new players that their builds are 100% FOR SURE going to be COMPLETELY DEMOLISHED? This is a big one, as players might invest hundreds of hours building stuff that will inevitably be destroyed. 3.) Why should I even introduce a game mode/area where EVERYTHING is 100% certain going to be DESTROYED in the end? This is not a 'maybe' or 'there are chances of'… it's 100% predictably going to involve complete and continuous destruction. 4.) Does point 3 warrant the introduction of some kind of moderation? Why? And how? We can't expect anyone to monitor a 1,000+ claim area 24//7. How do we communicate the rules to players? 5.) Moderation seems to always be necessary when players start building 'mature' designs or designs that are bound to shock others. Especially in a well-frequented area of the game. 6.) Thinking of all downsides: what problem are we trying to actually solve? Is an 'open build area' really the best way to approach this? Feel free to leave some feedback here if you have an opinion about the matter. The more open we can discuss the idea, the better the final solution will be.

# 2

por

fatih+

hace 2 años

Welp i thingk this gonna be hard to explain in my wierd english.. 1.)I thingk the 1b is good but if we use the 1a why not just make a nother acount only for the center it wil be like mybe 3 by 3 area that no one can build on it 2.)if we gonna youse 3 by 3 area that (no one) can build on it we can put the rules there and if we make the rule it shold have difrent language for other pepole that cant understan english 3.)im fine with that idk about other 4.) - 5.) i like the idea obi say on stream where theres a pop up like a disclaimer to a 18+ webside Welp thats my opinion on it i probly mess up a word or two

# 3

por

Rob12

hace 2 años

I don't think an area like that would be of any benefit to me at all. If I wanted to build something just to test an idea, I could just claim an area of my own to do it in and it would stay private. So in my opinion there's no need for one unless some people just want a lawless free for all, where you could be laying blocks as someone else is pulling them up again behind you, making it difficult to build anything meaningful. Maybe that's what people want though.

# 4

por

Hummm

hace 2 años

I admit upfront, this is way less attractive using the current game mechanics (claimed land) No creature spawn makes for a dull game for me. Perhaps this is solved by claiming a pattern rather than a solid block, which has it's own issues of allowing others to claim those... The open ring I suggested solves that in my opinion, (can't claim, but don't need to to build) but is obviously more work for you. The only other input I have is this... Hummmville: 1 claim owned by (GM) Hummmm, thousands of "friends", most have build perms... it's a nightmare trying to keep that 1 claim from being constantly destroyed. Obviously, in an open build area, no one would even attempt to maintain a constant look. But real freedom, always has its price. I think the open build area makes more sense in a (real) PvP area where there is a "home base" that you build, and an "enemy base" that you destroy, and of course enemies you kill, uh, I mean exhaust.

# 5

por

Angelio

hace 2 años

"I think the open build area makes more sense in a (real) PvP area where there is a "home base" that you build, and an "enemy base" that you destroy, and of course enemies you kill, uh, I mean exhaust." -I was thinking of the exact thing. It reminds me of the game "Happy Wars" where one of the party goal is trying to break the door of the enemy castle and invade it. Spending time on creating a 100% free land is in my opinion unnecessary and a waste of time. I think it would actually be better to use this time to improve the PvP for example by adding different mini-games such as invade the castle of the enemies.

# 6

por

Firefly

hace 2 años

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm glad I put the topic out here to gather feedback as this clarifies everyone's standpoints and wishes. Others: feel free to chime in and share your thoughts. The more opinions, the better I can try to navigate both the problem- and solution-space.

# 7

por

Gargoil

hace 2 años

The idea alone is not that interesting to me, I'm not the type of player that likes to destroy other people's things just for the sake of that. Angelio's idea of making it part of some sort competitive minigame feels more appealing to me.

# 8

por

Leyenda

hace 2 años

on the idea of ​​building without claiming. It can be improved 1- because to be able to change infinite lands such as 50000 for example? and to make it better and not take away your area to claim land is the anti-claims block that I name in the other forum of new ideas of new blocks, two things would improve 100% :)

# 9

por

Leyenda

hace 2 años

The truth is I put many ideas in that forum to improve the game or give more ideas to you, I hope it will be useful to you especially for terrain problems

# 10

por

Hummm

hace 2 años

@Gargoil ... Who's idea?!? dude!

Publicación 1–10 de 14

1 2 » Siguiente