Steam (Windows, macOS, Linux) Windows iTunes App Store

RFC: Horizontal panel block

in English in Forum

Post 1–10 di 10

PO

di

Firefly

2 anni fa

I have a new block shape idea: a horizontal panel block. Visualize them as being only the top face of the thin blocks that are in-game. These panels would be at the exact same height as the top face, but lack thickness. Players stand on them; you don't fall through. You'd use these to make rooms with a slightly higher ceiling, or add relief to the ceiling like builders do for floors with tables and full blocks. You could also make flat, horizontal surfaces. As for materials: I can probably only make them with current panel block designs. They'd have one single texture part repeat, oriented the same as the thin blocks so they connect visually. You'd get horizontal windows, bamboo, wooden panels, cinder blocks/bricks and such. Does this idea make sense? Any way to make it better?

# 2

di

Ruan4K

2 anni fa

It's a nice idea, I would happily use it, today I was thinking about making rooms with a slightly higher ceiling. I'm 100% on this :D

# 3

di

Rob12

2 anni fa

Sounds good, I would use them.

# 4

di

obi-

2 anni fa

What happens when you place a girder next to a horizontal panel block? Would they connect like the vertical panels do? I really like the idea of having horizontal panels, I would have imagined it to be (like the vertical panels) in the center of the block, not on top, but this sounds good too :) Players not falling through makes sense too.

# 5

di

obi-

2 anni fa

Second thought: The horizontal panels you describe are just solid stickers that always stick to the top. sus It would be useful though, it allows a builder to have a different ceiling on one level/floor, and a different floor on the level above. To get the same result now, you must use two full blocks, one for floor one for ceiling.

# 6

di

Angelio

2 anni fa

Can i have a visual of that Idea? Even made on photoshop is fine for me.

# 7

di

obi-

2 anni fa

I always imagined it would look like this: https://imgur.com/a/43O5ci7

# 8

di

Angelio

2 anni fa

Thanks for the visual image obi. Looks interesting but I have the feeling that things can get complicated of course. But honestly, Firefly, you have my full support, go for it ! Maybe a Dev stream would clarify things.(i hope)

# 9

di

Firefly

2 anni fa

The comment about it being a horizontal sticker is kinda on point. But it would be physically present so you don't fall through it. And it's ~somewhat~ at the center of a block. It would be at the height of where the top face of a thin block is. Look at the thin lantern block: https://angeldu.st/static/_generated/item-types/8pGeGdCiDcU8LEFctRdyzA.png These new blocks would only be the yellow, top 'lantern' face of that block, double-sided. The metal stuff would not be part of the block. That's why it would appear as a raised ceiling when seen from below. So it's not exactly at the center (50%) of a block, it's at 3/7th of a block (43%). This way they connect nicely to other textures, just like the thin blocks do. Look at the small cinder blocks, bricks, metals, wooden planks (and many others) to see that the bottom line is at 3/7th of the texture so things connect visually. @Rabotik and @space is green demanded this so their textures appear nicer :-) An interesting exercise based on @obi-'s plans would be to have this block connect to girder blocks next to it. Players would then very slightly sink into these panels, but visually they would connect nicely, giving the option for subtle slopes.

# 10

di

obi-

2 anni fa

Oh, I somehow misread it, my brain blocked out the 'thin' part... I see, this makes a lot more sense than the top face of a full block. Thank you very much for the clarification :) I see this as an absolute W for the builders.

Post 1–10 di 10